Monday 11 August 2014

#RyanSays - What is Your Identity Part 1

So, a while back, I was on my way home from church and then I met up for some fellowship with a few friends. One of them asked me - What Do You Do?. Now, I can talk for hours about what I do but for some reason I was speechless, totally speechless. I struggled to actually somehow explain what I do. I actually don't know why but looking back on that, I actually had no idea where I was heading or what I wanted to do.

Identity has many meanings. Three main ones that I like are
1 - The difference of character that marks off an individual from the rest of mankind
2 - A name or persona: A mask or appearance one presents to the world - by which one is known
3 - Sense of who one is

At that time, Bishop David Onimisi, was talking about Identity and it really hit home at how much work I still have to do to Identity myself and also work on how people can Identify who I am. Now, I do alot, I have a lot of interests, career goals, passions, dreams etc etc.

If I told you about my current business was set up or how I started writing songs at 17 or how I started organizing events at 18, you would actually confused as to what I do. I had just left school, about to start college, confused about life and what I wanted to do. There came a moment when someone told me 'Don't put all your eggs in one basket'. That baffled me for ages, until I worked it out. If the basket fell, the eggs will crack and you won't have any left. I then realized what was staring at me in face, identify what you want to do and the rest will follow.

When I talk about Identity, I don't mean how old you are, your name or where you are from. It's all about how you perceive yourself and how others perceive you. What will be said about you when you collect that award or when you stand in front of your maker on Judgement Day. That thought cares me a lot but every day I'm learning about myself and how others see me.
Imagine this, You are in an interview and the interviewee asks your friends how they identify you. What would they say? It's a spine chilling thought but if you know who you are, that shouldn't be a problem or should it?

If someone needs to find you, are you discoverable or are you untraceable. How easy are you to find in certain situations. When the going gets tough, will you carry on and fight till the end or will you turn around and walk away. When everyone you know, starts heading into their own direction, it leaves one person - YOU.
Where are you going? Who Are You? What Do You Do?

These three questions bugged me from day one. I'm going to set you a challenge. Ask yourself these same questions, see what you come up with.
Up to this day, I haven't got a simple answer to these questions but all I know is that I am a Man Of God and I do many things.

What is Your Identity? How easy is it for people to identify you?








No comments:

Post a Comment